Thursday, September 10, 2009

Paul Torres' Grand Central Art Center Show "Idiosyncratic Behavior"

I find myself scrambling both eggs for breakfast and to keep my gainful employment. The pros: I'm back in Santa Ana for work. The cons: I realize I've been working so hard at work that I haven't written about my favorite things since I last found myself in the Art haven that is Santa Ana.
What startles me entirely and puts my digits to the keys is Paul Torres @ Fullerton Grand Central Art Center! My first time seeing his work in person and I'm hit with Real Art in the awaiting face. The only thing better than the absolute expert handling of paint in Mr. Torres' Art, is the deeply immersive view into the psyche of his subjects. Venice Beach, never depicted as real and gritty as Paul's life battered characters, but in all the beauty and splendor of a So Cal landscape. This painter brings forth his mind-space for us to casually stroll by on the beach-walk. The social realism of George Groz and Ben Shahn but with mastery of color and technique, Paul Torres brings a newly informed depth to the genre and makes it his own updated version for the 21st millenium.

What startles me more after a visit to Paul's website: http://www.paul-torres.com/ is, he has shown with one of my favorite artists, Bret Barrett, back in 99' @ the Rico gallery and they both won honors for their work! The have both been kicking Art butt for ten years in CA.

It is a small world and I especially like the way Paul Torres paints his.

See his work in Santa Ana @ The Grand Central Art Center through Sept. 27th. Top quality must see Art!

2 comments:

paul torres said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
paul torres said...

Thanks so much Bill for the thoughtful and great article about my work, I much appreciate it.
Best
Paul